Sunday, October 4, 2009

Current update

Basically Mackenzie just sleeps all the time, which can be good, but she never wants to eat. She will never wake up on her own to eat and she gets so mad at us for waking her up. I really, really want to breastfeed and she is just not having it. She is getting all jaundice because she is not getting enough. Yes, we are those paranoid parents who have no idea what we are doing. People said I wouldn't have a problem because I have worked with kids of all ages at day cares, but I never had to survive the night or try to breast feed. I have a new found respect for all the breast feeders out there and just hope I can keep it up before I go insane!! Feel free to give any advice you might have!

6 comments:

k.young said...

Hey! Congrats on your little girl. She is darling. They are the best!
As far as breastfeeding, here is my advice.
Try it, but it is not the end of the world if you can't do it. Having a new baby is hard enough without stressing both you and the baby out because you can't breastfeed. I had a hard time breastfeeding Keelia, and it took me a while to get over it, but formula feeding was the best thing for her. But I will try again, if we have another one.
And I know that doesn't make it easier, really, but you are not alone. Breastfeeding can be tricky. Good luck!

Tiffany Winters said...

It is the most frustrating thing there is! I ended up Pumping for 8 months with Bailey and only 3 with Alyssa because it was so hard with school and two kids. I tried so hard. Don't stress out, keep trying and if it doesn't work, don't kick yourself about it.

Michelle and Shan said...

Hi Rachel, One of my coworkers used a breast shield which I had never heard of, but her little one wasn't latching on and this shield thing helped make it work. Perhaps ask about it. Jolene was also jaundice, which stinks, so I hope she starts feeding soon. How is this for irony....I can't get Jolene to STOP feeding at 18 months. Many hugs! Michelle

Michelle and Shan said...

Hi Rachel, One of my coworkers used a breast shield which I had never heard of, but her little one wasn't latching on and this shield thing helped make it work. Perhaps ask about it. Jolene was also jaundice, which stinks, so I hope she starts feeding soon. How is this for irony....I can't get Jolene to STOP feeding at 18 months. Many hugs! Michelle

Brooks said...

I just pumped until I could P to breastfeed. He didn't want to at first and I was kind of scared I'd mess it up if I didn't have a bottle handy right away. A baby can still learn to latch on months old. No worries as long as you're trying. And other people's kids are way different than your own.

Blaine & Tessa said...

Don't worry, like everyone has said. I pumped for 4 weeks and then she magically got it and did a very good job. Just remember to at least have her try to nurse once or twice a day for practice, but she will probably catch on. It is so cheap and easy (in my opinion). I think it is really convinient too! Good Luck!